Sunday, March 30, 2008

Woes of a young Indian Girl

This is one of the most common woe that any Indian female faces, every single day. But this was the first time, (well, almost) I faced it, first-hand. There are these buses we call MTC buses (Metropolitan Transport Corporation).




ये है हमारा SHAME (well my hindi is not so good, but just wanted to put it)

ஒத்துக்க முடியாது [hey the THU and MU are not coming properly. hope u were able to read it ;) ]

It is a perfectly noble idea to have public transport system. It is beneficial in millions of ways, but the abuses & the mental torture girls & ladies experience on these buses is just absolutely unfair.


Today, i travelled by MTC bus, after a real long time. These buses have the long seat at the back which is reserved for ladies. But when we got on, the whole seat was occupied by men, except two places towards the right. One aunty went to the extreme right, and I had to sit to her left, next to a man. My sister had to go to some other seat, as none of the men from the ladies seat made a move to make way for her. Well I pardon that (actually it is not supposed to be pardoned. That seat is reserved for ladies!!!! how dare these men occupy it??). The man who was next to me, was sitting too close & I was irritated. Can't he move a little and sit decently? I was disgusted. How lame! It was so bugging!!! He just wouldn't budge! How gross can people get???!!

Well maybe this is a really small issue. But then, it gave me so much of mental torture & i was truly piqued. So many many many girls & ladies go thru this injustice every single day. Many of my classmates share experiences where men just behave like barbarians. Men's attitude need to change. They just have to stop looking at women & girls as lifeless toys , that can be used for their time pass & fun.

As a girl, I thoroughly disapprove of the manner in which people of my sex are treated on the buses of my city. I am disgusted.

3 comments:

shalomi said...

ya gurl...tis a sad state...wat to do?

zEaLoUsMe™ said...

that's awful... apart its not only madras, but the capital city is no.1 at this. not only this bus disguise but also like whenver a gang of guys see 1 or 2 girls passing by they either make stupid noises or tend to pass a comment. it has happened with me once or twice, i ws glad i had a frnd wid me a tough one who actually turned around n abused him... we girls have to be strong for our own sake n saftey, because we know men will never change... dere r harldy nice guys left in this wrld, preciesly our cuntry!
sadd...

Dinesh Abraham said...

Oye !!! How is this "promoting" india ?? :P BTW y do u want to reserve seats fr women ? Arent u the equal ones ??